As with a child, it is important that our pet has clear limits to guarantee a calm and pleasant coexistence. In this aspect, the owner’s work during the first months of contact with the animal plays a very important role Dog training spring tx, and he must know some basic guidelines about his education.
Below we leave you some tips that will make this learning stage easier:
- START WITH BASIC ORDERS
From 3 or 4 months of age, a puppy is ready to start responding to its name. At this point we can begin training by introducing simple commands such as “stay,” “come,” “sit,” or “release.”
- “ Quiet ”. Having your dog remain standing in the place you indicate is essential for him to stop in the face of danger or remain calm while waiting to resume the activity. This order is especially relevant if we live in urban centers, since we will frequently cross intersections, zebra crossings or areas frequented by vehicles.
- “ Come .” This command is relevant for the dog to come to your command. Its name can also be used to call the animal (once it responds to it).
- “ Sit ” or “sit”. Once the dog responds to the “stay” command, it is interesting to introduce this command so that it waits sitting and calm to start the activity again.
- “ Lying down ”: A variation of the previous command, especially useful when we want the animal to remain calm for long periods of time.
- “ Let go .” Puppies often seek to have fun and play with the objects around them, so it is important to establish limits about what they can and cannot pick up. In addition, this order can prevent further harm such as ingesting a toxic product or accidents when trying to play with dangerous items.
Once the dog masters the basic commands, you can introduce new ones without forgetting to reinforce what has already been learned.
- PRIZES AND REWARDS
What prize to give?
When the dog responds appropriately to one of your commands, it is essential to reward him. To do this you can use a favorite snack or toy. It is important to vary the reward, since if we always use the same thing this will tend to demotivate the animal.
If we vary the rewards frequently, our pet will be eager to discover what prize will await him next time.
When to reward him?
It is important to give the reward just after the command has been properly executed and not a few seconds later, as this would make it difficult for him to associate obedience with the reward.
- EDUCATE WITH THE REWARD AND NOT WITH THE PUNISHMENT
Although some choose to punish the dog when it does not respond correctly to a command, through this method the only thing that is achieved is to generate fear and trepidation in the animal. Unlike punishment, “positive” training through rewards promotes faster learning.